Sunday, November 3, 2013

November!

November brings a lot of fun things. First off its celebrated by Halloween JUST before it begins. And this year I had a lot of fun with my son! It was his first year trick or treating!

It also brings cold in the North of the US. And so I am going to start my baking and start my crockpoting. It also means I will attempt to make somethings in the oven a bit more so that way I can warm up the house while cooking at the same time!

So what does that mean: ROASTS! Roast chicken, roast turkey, roast beef. Of course what is also a great thing to do after roasts? Soup!!! This week I am going to work with follow up recipes. What are follow up recipes? Honestly, its a recipe that uses the meat from one day or two days before so that way you can have two meals with the same proteins.

So what is on the agenda for Monday? Roast Beef for us! Sadly this cut lacks a bone in it. So I won't be able to make beef soup with the bone after, although it won't be a total loss because I will be making soup with out it.

Why soup with a bone? Well honestly, the marrow that is in the bone is something that a lot of people don't ever cook with, but they do need. It helps with arthritis as well as re-enforces your own cartliage and marrow. Go figure right? Roast is very easy to do! You put your roast in a rock pot, Cover it with water, add some onion soup, and veggies and cook all the day.

It can be served with warm rolls or bread. I highly suggest this part if you are not gluten-free or  on a lower carb diet. Why? well it just is a good way to complement the meal.

So here it is! Crock Pot Roast:

2lbs Roast Beef
1lb Baby Carrots
2 Large onions
1 Package Onion soup mix
4 cups water.
1lb potatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Mix up the onion soup mix per the instructions on the package. Pour into crock pot.
2) Place Meat in crock, cover and cook on high until meat is done.
3) Cut up your potatoes and onions.
4) Put onions, carrots, and potatoes in the crockpot cook for 1/2 hour or until potatoes are tender.

Serve. :-)

It will feed a family of 4 easily with left overs. I am not entirely sure how many people it will feed with out left overs. I usually make this for the left overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment